1. Who is Starcom?
One half British composer, one half Canadian sound designer. Together we joint forces to create groovy dance floor bangers and mash.
2. Where did the name come from?
Space is an interest we both have in common and we kinda just went from there. If we don't make it as producers we are considering becoming mars settlers.
3. What is it that you do?
Not too many things beyond making music and keeping it real.
4. For those who have never heard of you or heard your music. How would you describe yourselves? Both individually and as a group.
We both allow our creative madness to flow freely and combine our influences from different backgrounds which listeners will probably pick up from our music. John inherited his learning from a more traditional upbringing into the music world, from classically smashing keys and sporting a university degree. While Santos grew up around latin grooves and took an interest in more electronic music.
5. What is your recipe for success? How do you plan on moving from where you are at this point in time to where you want to be a year from now?
We would definitely include caffeine amongst other things in our makeshift recipe. We hope to get it right next year before our hearts fail. Also a more consistent show schedule.
6. What does the next year hold for Starcom?
The release of our freshest EP project, some funky remixes and some cool originals from the band we are a part of, RobotSexMusic.
7. Who makes the best burgers ever?
Fatburger, with 5 guys close behind. But nothing beats a good ol' summer barbecue.
8. What song are you most proud of creating?
A couple in our latest EP are tickling our fancy, but if we had to pick an old favourite it would definitely be "Super Banana". It was when we had finally mastered the fusion dance.
9. If you had to make one animal, nothing smaller than a cat, become extinct. What animal would you choose?
Titans, for the greater cause of humanity.
10. Music means a lot of things to a lot of people. Almost everyone would answer this question differently. What does music mean to you? What does actually creating music mean to you?
Taking a piece of yourself and creating a temporary window into your emotions and state of mind. As well as a lot of head bobbing.
11. How has being part of the Emengy crew changed what you do?
It's only recent we've joined the Emengy family and are more-so excited than anything.
12. Leaving porn out of this, what is the best website to browse for entertainment value?
Many hours are clocked in on YouTube cruising the side bar listening to related music, Soundcloud would definitely be a second!
13. If you could go back a year and change something, would you do it? What would it be?
Nah we are pretty content right now, though maybe some matching hair cuts would provide some comedic value.
14. What are your longterm goals?
We hope to perform worldwide and truly consider ourselves one with the universe.
15. How do you feel about cats?
Similar to the Egyptians, it is finally time relinquish power to the cat overlords.
16. What is the most important thing in creating something new and unique?
Not losing sight of your original idea.
17. What is the hardest job you've ever had?
We once had to switch light bulbs outside our work place on a fully extended sky jack which we can tell you, was a bad time.
18. What is something interesting about Starcom that people don't know?
Not a lot of people know we work together at a conference centre as well as being Starcom.
19. Who has influenced you most?
Our top three would have to be our parents, Daft Punk and Daft Punk's parents.
20. What period in history, aside from the current one, would you most like to have lived in?
In the era where disco balls were a staple of any good club. If we had to go farther back in time ancient Greece seems like it would be good times.
21. How do you see the music industry changing? Is it for the better or worse?
If we had to comment on the music industry we don't want to say it's aliens, but it's aliens.
22. Opinions on Greenpeace?
We're down for the planet.
23. If you could play at any music festival in the world, which one would it be?
Ultra Music Festival looks like it would be a hoot to perform at.
24. Everyone knows that Russia recently held the Olympics (if they don't, they live under a rock and certainly won't be reading this interview), shortly after that, they invaded Ukraine. What do you have to say about that?
Don't be a bully is the only sound advice, also aliens.
25. Kinda left it on a bit of a heavier note, but, you get the last word here. What do you have to say?
Omlette du fromage!
Interview by: Spottommy